Ralph> I am often printing my documents and then reading them for
Ralph> editing purposes.

Ralph> When I do this I have the fustration of finding that all my
Ralph> lemmas, theorems, equations, etc have their labels replaced by
Ralph> numbers. While of course this is exactly the way I want my
Ralph> final output to look it is very inconvenient when editing
Ralph> because I know all my lemmas etc by label and not by number so
Ralph> they are hard to recognize when referenced.

Ralph> Also, the numbers keep changing anyway so it is pointless to
Ralph> memorize them.

Ralph> It there a way to turn off the conversion of these labels to
Ralph> their numeric counterparts?

Ralph> This would be a great help. Perhaps other would like this
Ralph> capability as well.

Try to add
  \usepackage{showkeys}
in your LaTeX preamble. Yet another thing that LyX should be able to
do via the GUI...

JMarc