Allan> So does that mean there isn't any point in trying to support
Allan> redefining bullet shapes on a per-paragraph basis instead of
Allan> the current document-scope? At least not in French documents
Allan> anyway or is it all due to babel?

Allan> In the docs for "Itemize Bullet Selection" in Extended I gave
Allan> examples of how to do per-paragraph changes including the use
Allan> of the \renewcommand. You seem to be saying that this wouldn't
Allan> work in a non-English language document.

No, it is just that this ^%#&^%$ french style redefines the items when
\begin{document} is encoutered [*]. This means that labels in the
preamble get overwritten. So anything which is done _after_
\begin{document} should be safe.

JMarc

[*] No, this not is not to say that I forgot an 'n' in "encountered".
    It is rather to explain that in french, we use -- rather than \bullet
    to begin an enumeration.