Philip> Is it possible to bind arbitrary (non-math) symbols to a key,
Philip> so that 'C-i less' would insert '\guilsinglleft' for example?
Philip> The 'math- insert' and 'symbol-insert' functions seem to work
Philip> only with a small set of math symbols.
>>  It is not possible yet.

Andre'> This is only partly true.

Andre'> The current CVS supports binding a key to a sequence of
Andre'> commands, so you could bind 'C-i less' to

Andre'>   'command-sequence tex-mode ; self-insert \guilsinglleft ;
Andre'> tex-mode ;'

Andre'> (mind the semicolons, especially the last one)

I stand corrected :) In fact, I did not know that self-insert accepts
several characters.

JMarc