Hi all,

>> 1. Herbert Voss told me how to increase the space within footnotes,
>> but how can I increase the space between the first footnote and the
>> 'regular' text in the page? I'd like to have at least one blank line
>> between the two.
>
>\renewcommand\footnoterule{%
>  \vspace{1em}%          <- your line for vertical skip
>  \kern-3\p@
>  \hrule\@width.4\columnwidth
>  \kern2.6\p@}

Great! Thanks a lot for all the suggestions (thanks also to Jurgen
and Laurent). As you all are being so helpful, I couldn't resist
asking two more things :-)

- How can I increase the separation between the caption and the
image or table in a float?

- And the last one (for now, that is :-). Can I set the font
size to something other to 10, 11 or 12 ? I want to use 11.5;
where can I specify this?

Thanks again!
G.
--