Hi,

After the suggestions from this list (thanks!) and asking in comp.text.tex I
figured that the low quality printing problem could be solved if I were to use
the computer modern fonts as Type I (postscript).  This turned out to be very
simple, as those fonts were already in my machine and all I needed to do was
modify the script updmap and run it.

This also has had the added benefit of allowing me to get better quality from
pdflatex.

However, I've run into a minor problem; I cannot use the

\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}

If I do, I do not get Type I computer modern fonts.

I assume this is a common problem when one uses Type I computer modern fonts?
Any work arounds (to get the hyphenation patterns and special symbos I can get
with T1)? I think several people in this list also use pdflatex, and so I
thought some of you might have run into these problems in the past.

Thanks,

Ramon