Hello all,

I've recently started using LyX with the aim of finding a package robust enough
to handle my dissertation writing.  After writing my thesis in M$ Word, I'm
loathe to return to it after corrupted chapters, etc.  What's more, I find LyX
quite impressive, and think it will be perfect for dissertation writing.

LyX so far has treated me well.  Recently, though, I've run into a problem that
I can't seem to resolve.  I'm trying to make use of my University's LaTeX
dissertation class (they say it is for LaTex 2e), but I'm unable to get LyX to
load it.  Here's what I did, as per the customization docs:

1.  I put the class file (cornell.cls) into /usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/base and
did texhash.
2.  I created a cornell.layout file in my ~/.lyx/layouts directory.  Since I
don't want to add more than what I'm hoping the cornell.cls will provide, I
simply made the file 2 lines:  the obligatory first line about not deleting,
and a second line which consists of

\DeclareLaTeXClass [cornell, report]{cornell}

I include report since cornell.cls depends on it in turn.

3.  I reconfigure LyX.  LyX 'sees' the new class, but gives me an error when I
try to select it, telling me that it is unable to switch to the new document
class.

I'm hoping that I won't have to "roll my own' since I find the documentation on
doing so in the LyX manual a little confusing (this is surely a reflection on
my limited abilities and not the docs).  Am I missing something, or is there an
easier way to import these class files? I did search the list - people have
reported similar problems, but there's never been a satisfactory answer.

many thanks in advance for any help.

best regards

bob Torres

p.s. FWIW, I'm using v1.1.5 of LyX