Paul> So what are my options? I need to understand where lyx's layout
Paul> file separates in function from the kbk.cls file. It is a bit
Paul> discouraging to me.

The layout files purports to describe for LyX what's in the .cls file.

Paul> What is the absolute minimum needed for a workable layout file?
Paul> I tried a "skeleton" layout file:

Paul> #% Do not delete the line below; configure depends on this #
Paul> \DeclareLaTeXClass[kbk,kbkps.sty]{book (kbk)} Preamble
Paul> \usepackage{kbkps} EndPreamble

Change it to

==========
#% Do not delete the line below; configure depends on this
#  \DeclareLaTeXClass[kbk,kbkps.sty]{book (kbk)}
Preamble
  \usepackage{kbkps}
EndPreamble

Input book.layout
===============

Paul> Lyx finds the document type, but it cannot use it. The error is
Paul> "Conversion errors! unable to switch to new document class". So
Paul> I'm missing at least one fundamental element.

Yes, you have to describe all the possible types of paragraphs in the
class. That's what the Input does.

Paul> But once I find the minimum layout file, won't I be able to
Paul> generate documents that match the kbk.cls information? I
Paul> understand the "on screen" appearance of LyX will not be
Paul> accurage because I may not have not defined fonts in the layout
Paul> file. I will not have "point and click" access to any special
Paul> environments that exist in kbk.cls. If there are special things
Paul> to be inserted, I have to use ERT. OK.

Then you can add the missing parts and do the customizations after
inputing book.layout.

Paul> But won't the dvi and postscript output be true to the kbk.ps?

Yes, they will.

JMarc