Hi
I got a similar behavior on my PPC .

The problem was not with the ~/.lyx directory, but with the
/usr/local/share/lyx directory. I configured LyX 1.1.6 with the
--with-lyxname=STRING, and it creates a "STRING" directory in
/usr/local/share, but seemed to use the "old" /usr/local/share/lyx dir
when launched. Note that the application name was still lyx and not
STRING.

May be I missed the point ( and lost my "old" LyX binary). Anyway,
renaming my old /usr/local/share/lyx directory solved the problem.

Hope this could help you.

        Alain
P.S. suggestion : Is it possible to suggest, in the INSTALL file, a
COMPLETE procedure to install concurent versions of LyX (e.g. to test a
new release before switching). This could help stupid users (like me) :-)

 *        Alain Castera                                            *
 * LPNHE - Tour 33 RdC           | e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]*
 * 4 Place Jussieu               | Telephone :     (+33) 144274187 *
 * 75252 Paris Cedex 05          | Fax :           (+33) 144274638 *
 * France                        |                                 *