* Friedemann Baitinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [010206 00:33]:

> So here my questions:
>
>   o  What is the recommended package to create figures (boxes, circles,
>      lines....) wih LyX?
>
>   o  Is it possible to setup a document such that all of the following
>      works?:
>
>      - figures render and scale correctly in the LyX GUI
>      - 'View -> DVI' works correctly
>      - 'View -> PS'  works correctly
>      - 'View -> PDF (pdflatex)' works correctly

If you agree to lose rendering and scaling in the gui you can use the
new external inset, it will accept your .fig file and will convert it by
itself into PNG or EPS for inclusion into the document when you export
or preview.

> PS: I am using LyX 1.1.6 but the same problems were already there in
> previous versions, in fact I have upgraded to 1.1.6 hoping that the
> problems may have been fixed.

I'm working on InsetGraphics, a rewrite of FigInset. It will probably be
ready for 1.2.0 and will support the above requirements, it will take
quite a few image formats (EPS, PNG, JPG, GIF) and convert them as
needed for inclusion into the document.

The problem is actually with the underlying LaTeX engine, the dvips
engine accepts only EPS images, and pdflatex accepts PNG or PDF images
but not EPS images. Essentially, LyX will need to convert the image to
the required format.

I already have the code needed to auto-convert the images, but the
inline viewing code still has problems.

--
Baruch Even
http://baruch.ev-en.org/