On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 10:35:55AM +0200, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:
> Thank you. I hadn't noticed this particular section in the LyX
> documentation. To summarize the docs,
> 1. add the following lines to ~/.dvipsrc (create if the file doesn't
> exist):
> p+ psfonts.cmz
> p+ psfonts.amz
>
> 2. add the following to LaTeX preamble:
> \usepackage{ae,aecompl}
>
> 3. or, the following could be added to ~/.lyxrc, but is not recommended:
> \font_encoding default

You need to do (1) with either 2 or 3.
Also, the line should be added to ~/.lyx/lyxrc, or if you use 1.1.6,
open the preferences dialog, go to Outputs->Misc and change "TeX encoding"
to "default".

> For the 3rd thing, setting Layout/Document/Language/Encoding/Default
> didn't help so I assume .lyxrc file should be modified each time when
> using different encodings. I feel this is clumsy and it's easier just to
> modify the generated LaTeX file.

You are confusing font encoding and input encoding.
You just need to do the change in lyxrc/preferences once.

> And if using the 2nd thing (aecompl), only postscript files will have
> outline fonts, not PDF (either pdflatex or even ps2pdf!) so it doesn't
> really help for PDFs.

No. It will help for both Postscript and PDF (using either pdflatex or dvipdfm
or ps2pdf (assuming you use gs >= 6.0).

> > > If you have math in your document then it won't be that easy.
> >
> > Not true.
>
> Using pslatex, not all fonts appear as outline fonts in PDF files (using
> either pdflatex or ps2pdf), for example parentheses (). However, in
> Postscript file everything is fine.

> Maybe i'm using old or misconfigured software though (RedHat 6.2, gs 5.50,
> pdfTeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159-0.13d). I don't use gs 6.50 since it heard it
> doesn't work with LyX due bugs.

Since you use gs 5.50, then all math symbols which are not in the Postscript
fonts will be bitmap.

As for pdflatex, it should work, unless your pdftex is misconfigured.
What is the contents of pdftex.cfg ?

You can also try dvipdfm (which works pretty well).