On 2/12/2014 6:36 p.m., Liviu Andronic wrote:
On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 5:20 AM, Ashok <adharesh...@hotmail.com> wrote:
I currently have Acrobat Pro 11. It's very unwieldy. The first time I view
a document, it's fine, but then it gets stuck. Even exiting Acrobat
doesn't help. I have to exit Lyx and get back!

I like sticking to Evince when forced to use Windows: it's slim,
quick, and makes sense for viewing PDF files. It also auto-loads
updated files gracefully, unlike Acrobat.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evince/Downloads

Liviu

Is there a simpler alternative? And how to tell Lyx not to use Acrobat
pro? (I have Acrobat Pro "associated" as the default pdf viewer on my
Windows system; that's how I would like to continue for non-Lyx uses.)

TIA.

I'm on Windows 7. Until earlier this year I used Adobe Reader, but over the years it has got more and more ponderous and LyX interacts with it somewhat clunkily. I've since installed Sumatra. It's much smaller and more responsive and I'm pleased with how it interacts with LyX. But for things like printing a pdf Adobe Reader has additional options (e.g. printing in reverse order) so I keep it on disk.

If you want Adobe Pro to be your default Windows pdf viewer and yet have Sumatra (or Evince or whatever) as your LyX pdf viewer, you need to go to Tools > Preferences > File Handling > File Formats and under the format PDF (pdflatex) go down to the Viewer: slot (where it may show pdfview) and choose Custom and in the right-hand slot enter e.g. SumatraPDF, then click Apply. Now in the larger window on the left select Paths. Second slot from the bottom on the right is PATH prefix. At the end of whatever is already there add (e.g.)

;C:\Program Files (x86)\SumatraPDF

(note the semicolon) or whatever the path is to the directory holding the .exe file of your chosen LyX pdf viewer. Now click Save.

Andrew