I probably should have added my question here instead of the developers
list:
This is related to the question at the end of this thread post
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg186437.html

Where can I find out about the syntax for writing my own user defined
regular expressions?
It is quite a powerful feature, but is utterly useless for a non-developer
if there is no way to learn the syntax required to create an expression.
There are plenty of things I would like be able to find and replace in the
LyX environment, but dont know how... The alternative (which I'm guessing
most people use) is to export as a TeX file and then find and replace in a
text editor. But surely there is a better way.

What language does it use?
I've seen something about Perl somewhere.

Two specific cases of find and replace expressions:
1) Double words can be found easily as in the thread linked above.
What would I need to put in the "Replace with:" section to delete a
duplicate word once found?
Can it be done?

2) I would like to find all \bigskip{} and replace with \medskip{}.
How do I create a user defined regular expression to do this? Can I even
search for TeX expressions?

I did try to create a user defined regular expression to replace the
dduplicated words but because I really have no idea about the syntax
required, the result was replacement of the duplicate word with the test in
the user defined expression (i.e. replacement with the literal expression)
followed by  \endregexp{}.

Cheers
James