On 02/18/2015 08:29 PM, James wrote:
I probably should have added my question here instead of the developers list:
This is related to the question at the end of this thread post
http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg186437.html

Where can I find out about the syntax for writing my own user defined regular expressions? It is quite a powerful feature, but is utterly useless for a non-developer if there is no way to learn the syntax required to create an expression. There are plenty of things I would like be able to find and replace in the LyX environment, but dont know how... The alternative (which I'm guessing most people use) is to export as a TeX file and then find and replace in a text editor. But surely there is a better way.

What language does it use?
I've seen something about Perl somewhere.

We use some standard C++ regex engine, either from boost or tr1 or MSVC. These provide basic regular expressions, including back references, I believe.

Two specific cases of find and replace expressions:
1) Double words can be found easily as in the thread linked above.
What would I need to put in the "Replace with:" section to delete a duplicate word once found?
Can it be done?

I'm not sure if this is possible. You would have to use backreferences, which you can do in Perl, etc, but I don't know if we support that.

2) I would like to find all \bigskip{} and replace with \medskip{}.
How do I create a user defined regular expression to do this? Can I even search for TeX expressions?

I believe you can search for the Bigskip inset and replace it with a Medskip inset, so no regexes needed.

Richard