On Mar 24, 2015, at 9:36 PM, Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> wrote:

> On Mar 20, 2015, at 7:38 AM, Benedict Holland <benedict.m.holl...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Equation labels should be human readable and make sense to you and the
>> document. That is the proper use. If you are making them all a1, a2,... aN,
>> I can't help you but typically there are not many equations in documents
>> anyway. Each one is a bit different and requires a slightly different human
>> readable note attached with a number that you don't care about. It seems
>> perfect to me.
>
> Responding to Benedict and others...
>
> This assumes something that isn't necessarily true. It assumes one person's
> writing style or habits or needs. Other people have dozens and hundreds of
> equations in a document and having to invent meaningful labels for then is
> truly a nuisance because equations don't naturally have names. The same goes
> of course for figures and tables but at least in those cases one might pick a
> few choice words from their captions.
>
> To make a meaningful name can easily take 10-20 words in many cases. One can
> make shorter labels but then the meaning is lost so one may as well do A1,
> A2, .... And short labels or longer descriptions as labels doesn't matter
> that much when one is scrolling through a list of dozens or hundreds of
> labels trying to remember what "Laplace distribution modified by AM after
> substitution of cross-correlaction factor from AR process" means. And the
> outline doesn't show display equations that aren't labelled. The only easily
> meaningful thing is the equation itself, which is why one spends tons of time
> looking around for the actual equation to make sure it's the right one. Thus
> my argument for a graphical equation browser.
>
> Jerry

(Bottom-posting on myself)

I'll add that the Outline pane in any kind of normal configuration is so narrow
that, again, only a bit of any label is visible. One could of course have it
span the width of one's screen to see more of any longer labels, but this
wastes enormous amounts of screen space (especially important to laptop users)
and this exercise is further foiled by the Outline pane's annoying behavior of
floating on top of the main document window at all times when it is detached.

Jerry