Hello,

So you want to label each of the lines in order? If you are in the math
environment, right click and select "Displayed Formula". That will center
the entire math block. Then you can right click and number the whole
formula or each line. It is true that it will not number each line 1-4 and
equally true that would most likely not be very difficult but it is equally
not very difficult to just number each line. It is then possible to label
each line as something like equation_1, equation_2, equation_3 for easy
reference. That way you know that equation_1 is the first equation for
equation *equation. *To reference these numbers, you set up a cross
reference based on the labels you chose. This is actually really nice. Say
for example that you wanted to insert an equation between 3 and 4. You
don't have to worry about changing labels or references. It just does it.

Again, I really don't understand what the desired outcome would be or why
something doesn't work. All Lyx is doing is setting up a nice front end and
dealing with the \ref{} and \label{} tags for you. The cases where it makes
sense to have every single line in a math group labeled separately are
fairly edge case in nature and the problem easily  fixed with a few simple
right clicks.

Thanks,
~Ben

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 11:32 AM, Robert Susmilch <rob...@susmilch.com>