Why are you explicitly including the rtmsc-defs? A search on my system says
that rtmsc.sty is part of the rtthesis example file, while rtmsc-defs.sty and
rtmsc-defs-utf8.sty are part of the core rtthesis package. You might want to
copy all the files from rtthesisex to your rtthesis installed directory,
/usr/share/tex/latex/ and run texhash again.

What is inside your rtthesis.layout file?

--
Respectfully,

Robert Susmilch
The "gobbledygook" in this email is due to this email having been "signed"
with PGP for security.