On Tue, Feb 02, 2016 at 12:12:29PM +0000, Paul Smith wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:
> Thanks, Scott, for the directions you have offered me. I did not
> imagine that would be so complicated, as the documentation only refers
> using the option
>
> -i lyx filename.lyx
>
> in the command.

Yes, that is for importing a file. Importing means to take a document
that is not a .lyx file and convert it to a .lyx file. What you want to
do is that you would like to *insert* a .lyx file at a specific position
(the end) of a separate .lyx document. I know it sounds similar, but
actually it's a completely different operation. And in the years that I
have been on this list, it is the first time that I have ever seen
someone want the command-line behavior you describe. Of course, what you
want to do is completely reasonable. I am just defending that LyX does
not have a specific option to do what you want because it is not that
common.

The good news is that if you do go through the trouble of following the
steps that I outlined, you will learn about LyX functions, and this will
give you a way to automate sequences of actions in LyX, create custom
shortcuts, and will give you a deeper understanding of LyX and how to
take advantage of some of its more powerful functionality. If you plan
on using LyX for more than a couple of months, my opinions it that the
investment of time will pay off.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

Scott