Christopher Jones wrote:

> Thanks to Herr Voss for the tabbing example file. And thanks to everyone for
> your suggestions.
>
> I decieded to go with latex tabbing. This introduces a problem which seems to
> derive from my use of another package, namely the multicols package. My
> document needs to be trifold, three columns. Hence my use of multicols.
> However, tabbing seems to ignore the fact that there are more than two columns
> in the document, so that anything within the tabbing environment, though it
> starts in the correct column, goes right across the page. So in the printout I
> get text on top of text. In the ps file text just dissappears past a given
> column. (This is also why I can't use a table, which I tried the first time.)
>
> I would manually insert breaks in the tabbed section, but since I need
> block-justified text, this (unelegant) solution won't do this time.
>
> So what do I do?

have a look at the attached lyx-file. it's a solution on the run ...
if it's useful, copy the latex preamble into the one of your textfile.
only the bold text in this file is important, the rest is nonsense....
hope it helps

Herbert

--
http://perce.de/lyx/
#LyX 1.2 created this file. For more info see http://www.lyx.org/
\lyxformat 218
\textclass article
\begin_preamble
\usepackage{multicol}
\newlength{\tabI}
\newlength{\tabII}
\newlength{\tabIII}
\newlength{\tabIV}
\setlength{\tabI}{0.3cm}% <---------------------------- the first tabfield
\setlength{\tabIII}{1cm}%  <---------------------------- the second tabfield
\newcommand{\myEnumI}[2]{%
  \noindent\begin{minipage}[t]{\tabI}#1\end{minipage}\hfill\
\begin{minipage}[t]{0.95\tabII} #2\end{minipage}%
}
\newcommand{\myEnumII}[2]{%
  \noindent\begin{minipage}[t]{\tabIII}#1\end{minipage}\hfill\
\begin{minipage}[t]{0.95\tabIV} #2\end{minipage}%
}
\end_preamble
\language ngerman
\inputencoding default
\fontscheme default
\graphics default
\paperfontsize default
\spacing single
\papersize Default
\paperpackage a4
\use_geometry 0
\use_amsmath 0
\paperorientation portrait
\secnumdepth 3
\tocdepth 3
\paragraph_separation indent
\defskip medskip
\quotes_language english
\quotes_times 2
\papercolumns 1
\papersides 1
\paperpagestyle default

\layout Standard

bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
 bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
 bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
 bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla
 bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla

\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
begin{multicols}{3}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
setlength{
\backslash
tabII}{
\backslash
columnwidth}
\backslash
addtolength{
\backslash
tabII}{-
\backslash
tabI}% behind
\backslash
begin{multicol}!!!!!
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
setlength{
\backslash
tabIV}{
\backslash
columnwidth}
\backslash
addtolength{
\backslash
tabIV}{-
\backslash
tabIII}% behind
\backslash
begin{multicol}!!!!!
\layout Standard

\series bold
These setlength commands MUST be placed here, because we need at this position
 the columnwidht! if you have another part in the text with multicols repeat
 these two lines.
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
myEnumI{
\latex default
Q.
\latex latex
}{
\latex default
blah blah blah
\latex latex
}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
myEnumII{
\latex default
A.
\latex latex
}{
\latex default
blah blah blah
\latex latex
}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
myEnumI{
\latex default
Q.
\latex latex
}{
\latex default
blah blah blah Tblah blah blah Tblah blah blah T
\latex latex
}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
myEnumII{
\latex default
A.
\latex latex
}{
\latex default
blah blah blah T
\latex latex
}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
myEnumI{
\latex default
Q.
\latex latex
}{
\latex default
blah blah blah T
\latex latex
}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
myEnumII{
\latex default
A.
\latex latex
}{
[...]

blah blah blah Tblah blah blah The line with
\backslash
kill is only my tabbing line, which defines the tabstops.
 in this case the first one at 1cm and the second one at 2 cm.
 it's also possible to use a real textline for defining
\latex latex
}
\layout Standard

\latex latex

\backslash
myEnumII{
\latex default
A.
\latex latex
}{
\latex default
blah blah blah T
\latex latex
}
\layout Standard

blah blah blah The line with
\backslash
kill is only my tabbing line, which defines the tabstops.
 in this case the first one at 1cm and the second one at 2 cm.
 it's also possible to use a real textline for defining the tabstops.blah
[...]

end{multicols}
\the_end