Thanks sooooo much! Since I sent that post, I had come up with the following
slution:

\begin{tabbing}
Q. XXX \= \parbox[t]{\columnwidth}{...} \\
\end{tabbing}

Your solution worked MUCH better, since mine, though it kept the text within
the column, left the \parbox extended too far to the right (left margin was OK),
leaving only about 1cm of margin between the text and the right-hand column
edge. I had tried using other variables than \columnwidth, such as \linewidth,
but to no avail.

So. I'm looking through the preamble stuff you sent, trying to figure our what
you did (time for me to buy a book about TeX, I think). If I could figure out
what in your solution took care of the problem cited immediately above, then I
could solve the same problem for the following element, which suffers the same:

\fbox{\parbox{\columnwidth}{ ... }}