Le 15/02/2016 12:08, Bryan Mitchell a écrit :
I also attach a screen shot of the relevant Lyx box. If I highlight
a paragraph and choose "Justified", it will not keep the choice
but reverts to Default. If I do not highlight anything, then choose
"Justified", it will keep the setting, but the result of the pdflatex
output is unchanged.
Am I misunderstanding this? Is it possible that the choice only
affects the Lyx text?

What you have here is that the default of the text is "justified". So in a not really intuitive manner, the dialog resets the value to "default". Note however, that justified is the natural alignment in LaTeX, and it is to my knowledge not possible to force it. What is possible to force, though is left/center/right.

But as I explained before, we do not have the same expectations about what "justified" should do.

JMarc