My document is nearly finished, so soon I'll stop flooding the list with
my questions (for a while).

This is a minor question: skip this mail if you're hurry.

in postscript/dvi output of latex, the references go like this:
:
[8]  This is a long reference
     that spans to next line
[9]  This is a long reference
     that spans to next line
[10] This is a long reference
     that spans to next line
:
Ie. the lines (ignoring the square parentheses) are all aligned nicely. In
pdflatex output, instead, I get:
:
[8] This is a long reference
    that spans to next line
[9] This is a long reference
    that spans to next line
[10] This is a long reference
    that spans to next line
:
Ie, when the reference numbers go over 9, the first line is slightly
indented too much, just like the label width would be computed
incorrectly. Is there any /easy/ way to fix this?

----

Another problem, but not /mine/ problem: I have inserted some URLs in the
references. In pdflatex output they wrap very nicely just as they should
when they don't fit in the line. However, in latex output they don't wrap
but continue over to margin and even after the paper ends!
This is just an observation, since I primarily use pdflatex anyway.
(but a fix is always welcome)

I just wonder why pdflatex and latex give very different output? The only
differences are that images in pdf version are processed with "epstopdf",
and the tex source for pdf version doesn't have "\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}"
(which would produce bitmapped fonts) and in pdf version I have
\usepackage[pdftex]{hyperref} and in latex version
\usepackage[ps2pdf]{hyperref}

And finally a tip: as people have reported, sometimes gv/ghostview/mgv
"crop" postscript files. This is especially common for landscape
documents. Mine is portrait, but nevertheless gv didn't display the last
couple of centimeters from the bottom, from the pdf document produced by
pdflatex (latex didn't show this problem).
I selected "Document layout/paper/use geometry package" and the problem
gone away! So if you have similar problem, try that.