On 12/28/2017 02:50 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
On Thu, 28 Dec 2017, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

Rich, it would be great if you could send MWE for messages like this. The first step is: remove all text and just put "hello". Does that compile? If
so, then figure out the smallest .lyx file that can give the same error.

Scott,

  The .lyx file is 8912 lines and the only strings shown in the error
message lower window are the years 2004 and 2005. They are nowhere near the highlighted text so I've no idea how to create a MWE that includes an error
I cannot find based on what lyx shows me.

  The 2004 is associated with a citation and bibliographic entry; the 2005
is in the body of the document. There is no 'california' with a lowercase
initial 'c', nor the word 'bypass' anywhere.

  What would be an appropriate diagnostic to refine the source of this
error?

Thanks,

Rich
Rich,

If you're using BibTeX, the BibTeX file could be the culprit. Sometimes people copy citations (or parts thereof) from non-text sources (e.g., PDF files) and paste them into a .bib file. They look benign, but there are character codes (ligatures come to mind) that prove indigestible to BibTeX. There could also be a nonprinting character mucking things up.

If the glitch is in a BibTeX reference, I would open the .bib file in a plain text editor (or a hex editor, if I were feeling geeky) and look for stray characters that look out of place. If the glitch is in the document text, I would open the .lyx file in a text editor and snoop for stray characters in the vicinity of the glitch.

Paul