On 02/08/2018 11:34 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:

  Same here. Exporting to LaTeX(pdflatex) has this line:
\citep{Helsel2005b,Helsel2006,Helsel2009}.

  There's no .bib file exported with the .tex file.
There wouldn't be. The JabRef database is the .bib file, and you linked to it in the bibliography definition. LyX doesn't need to export it; like image files, it's considered to be already there.

 I still have to set up the BibTeX bibliography in the LyX document as
usual. The problem isn't with the citation, it's with the bibliography
entry. Assuming you are indeed using bibtex and not biblatex, it sounds as if thek .bib file somehow got generated using biblatex syntax (or a mix?).

  Documents -> Settings -> Bibliography: Citation style is natbib,
Biblography style is plain, Biblography generation is set to bibtex with no
options.
It would be JabRef, not LyX, that would be set to use biblatex (which, you say below,it ain't).

  At the end of the document the bibliography settings show the correct (and
only) database with authordate4 as the style and the content set to all
cited references.

The only one saying "journaltitle", or the only one that won't publish (meaning there are others with "journaltitle" that are working)?

  Despite JabRef being set to 'bibtex' _all_ journal entries show
'journaltitle' in the Required Fields tab. At one point they all showed
'journal.'
Okay, I might have a partial handle on this. I just did a little experiment, using JabRef 2.10. The starting point was a .bib file in BibTeX format, meaning all journal titles were labeled "Journal = ...". I switched JabRef to biblatex (in advanced options), forcing a restart. The .bib file was untouched (all entries still used "Journal"). I added a new entry and saved the file. That entry used "Journaltitle"; the others were unchanged. Switch JabRef back to BibTeX, restarted and reloaded the database. No change (the new entry was still "Journaltitle", the others still "Journal"), but in the JabRef edit window the new entry had an empty Journal field. The "Journaltitle" field shows up in the BibTeX Source tab, but not in any of the other tabs ("Required fields", "Optional fields", "General", "Abstract" or "Review"). I think this is because biblatex translates "journal" to "journaltitle" but bibtex does not recognize"journaltitle".

So my guess is your problem child article (and maybe some others) were entered when JabRef was in biblatex mode. Once they're in the database, mode switches do not change them. I have not seen any indication of a tool (either in JabRef or external) for unscrewing this, so my guess is you'll need to open the .bib database in a text editor and do it the old fashioned way.

Paul