Rich,

half in jest :-)-O

RCS on an an existing file is better than no version control, or
starting a new version control with different software (on the same
document, and loosing all previous version control).

It also works for single users very well, I have a few documents with
includes all under RCS, and I use the rcs-multi package to generate
something like

\rcsid{$Id: handbook.lyx,v 1.11 2017/08/12 18:20:59 el Exp $}

\newcommand{\versionstring}{v\rcsfilerev,
\rcsfileyear-\rcsfilemonth-\rcsfileday}

suitable for preamble and/or ERT, page styles or watermarks.

On new files one can obviously take something modern, especially if one
collaborates.

Maybe one can take the time to look at one of the already existing
converters from RCS (CVS?) to SVN/GIT or whatever else LyX can handle,
but to be honest, why bother?

el