On 03/13/2018 06:13 PM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
Dear all,

I would appreciate your help on an issue that is holding up the release
of LyX 2.3.0. We are considering to add the following dialog at the
beginning of the LyX 2.3.0 Windows installer:

     The LyX installer is going to update MiKTeX to the newest 2.9
     version. If you do not use MiKTeX with applications other than LyX,
     you likely want to choose "Continue". If you do use MiKTeX with
     other applications and do not want to update it now, or want to
     perform the update yourself, you can cancel the LyX installation
     now.

                                  Cancel       Continue

Do you think this dialog would be confusing for the average user?

Thanks for your feedback,

Scott
I think the dialog is clear enough in what it says, but it leaves unanswered the question of whether LyX requires MiKTeX 2.9, or whether it will work with an existing installation of an earlier version. One might infer from the limited choices that LyX requires 2.9, but if so I would suggest saying that explicitly. If not, the user should be told where to look for instructions on how to install LyX without messing with MiKTeX.

Paul