On 13 Apr 2001, leo ber wrote:

> Hi
> I am still trying to install Lyx on Solaris 8. I was having problems when I
> was running make, so somebody suggest me to use gmake. I got gmake and
> installed it...fiuuuu... and then when I use gmake on the lyx installation , I
> got a little bit farther but gmake crashes too reporting this:

If you have cvs you can update to latest lyx-1.1.6 sources and you should
be able to run with Sun's make.

> (Sorry for the long attachment... But if somebody has installed lyx on solaris
> 8, please let me know because I am really tired of equation editor 3.0 (word),
> I could run the lyx on windows but it needs the xclient program that shutdowns
> every 2 hours and it gets annoying...)

Good news and bad news.  Libsigc++ does some things that your compiler
doesn't like.  Obviously.  This has already been reported to the
maintainer of that library.  If you are using Sun's CC < 6.0 it'll never
compile libsigc++.  If you have CC >= 6.0 then there is a possibility it
can be made to work. The maintainer has told us however he is also busy
rewriting much of the library and that developmental version works with
most compilers around.  However, there's always a catch isn't there, that
developmental version is incompatible with the current library and it also
isn't in public release.

The good news is that people have built LyX on Solaris but not with Sun's
CC.  They used GNU gcc (well g++ anyway).  There aren't any prebuilt
binaries in Sun package format that I'm aware of. However, on our ftp site
and its mirrors you'll find:

ftp.lyx.org/pub/lyx/bin/1.1.5fix1/lyx-1.1.5fix1-bin-Solaris2.7-static.tar.gz

Allan. (ARRae)