On 06/08/2018 03:58 PM, Hal Kierstead wrote:

On Jun 8, 2018, at 3:28 PM, David L. Johnson <d...@lehigh.edu> wrote:

On Fri, 08 Jun 2018 17:49:15 -0400
Neal Becker <ndbeck...@gmail.com> wrote:

How do I enter (without using raw TeX)
\hat{x}_i?

I seem to always end up with \hat{x_i}, which isn't the same (and
doesn't look correct)

You have to be just a little careful.  You can either enter the x, then
highlight it and add in the \hat from the menu, then get out of that
box and enter the _i, or you can enter the x_i, highlight the x only,
and choose the \hat from the menu.  Since I don't always remember
quickly all of the commands for such decorations, it's easier for me to
do this than to use the keystrokes.

--

David L. Johnson
Department of Mathematics

In math type \hat[return key]. You will get a box. Type x. Get out of the box.
Type _i.

Hal

A _pure_ LyX method is to select the hat box from the frame decorations menu, enter the ā€˜xā€™, leave the hat box, then select subscripts, and enter the ā€˜iā€™

But, really, I think that a mix of LaTeX and gooey LyX is a better way to go. I'd probably use the method of Hal Kierstead. Professor Johnson's second method is fine too.