On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 03:14:59 -0700
Daniel Kian Mc Kiernan <daniel....@oeconomist.com> wrote:

> A _pure_ LyX method is to select the hat box from the frame
> decorations menu, enter the ā€˜xā€™, leave the hat box, then select
> subscripts, and enter the ā€˜iā€™
>
> But, really, I think that a mix of LaTeX and gooey LyX is a better
> way to go.  I'd probably use the method of Hal Kierstead.  Professor
> Johnson's second method is fine too.

I would agree that a more LaTeX approach would be easiest, but I
usually find myself needing to add, or remove, an \overline{}
decoration, which is easier for me in the gooey fashion.  The only
problem with using LaTeX directly is that LyX puts you in that box, and
you have to know to get out of it.

--

David L. Johnson
Department of Mathematics