On 4/1/19 6:04 PM, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> Am 01.04.2019 um 18:22 schrieb Richard Kimberly Heck:
>
>> I use gcc in a cross-platform environment. I.e., I compile for Windows
>> on Linux.
>
> Hmm, but how do you check what fits to the different Windows systems?

I test some things myself and rely upon other people to test them on
other systems. This is no different from what we do on any other
platform. It's my intention to start offering more frequent 'testing'
releases, but this semester has been crazy busy.

> ...I don't know if one can rely
> on GCC that programs compiled with it will run also on latest and future
> Win 10 versions other than running LyX under Win 10. (Then one can
> directly compile LyX under Windows.)

Lots and lots of programs get compiled this way, and gcc provides its
own runtime libraries (which of course interface with the public Windows
API). I'd wager, in fact, that they may be more stable, since they do
not use undocumented features, system calls, and the like.

> You see why I insist that proper Windows support is only possible if the
> whole process, compilation, installer building and testing the
> installation is run on different Win systems.

No, I don't see why it matters whether we compile LyX on Windows or on
Linux, and nothing you said seems to address that.

Riki