On 8/16/19 11:04 AM, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
On 8/16/19 6:01 AM, Stephan Witt wrote:
Am 15.08.2019 um 23:00 schrieb Matthias Görlach <matthias.goerl...@t-online.de>:
Hi,
after running and using Lyx for maybe 10 years, I finally tried to upgrade from
v 2.2.4 to 2.3.2 and 2.3.3.

This resulted in unusability or continuously repeated error messages relating to "missing document
classes", something about "missing library" and finally to "LyX will only have minimal
functionality because no text classes have been found. You can either try to configure LyX normally, try to
reconfigure without checking your LaTeX installation, or continue."

I tried a lot - to no avail - incl newsgroups, Wiki etc etc
Reconfigure didnt do a thing - neither a complete new install of the recent
MacTEX suite, reinstall of Lyx etc etc. Other TEX distribs (e.g. mac texmaker)
worked flawlessly.
My System MacOS X, 10.12.6 Sierra incl latest patches on a MacBook Pro
(MacBookPro9,2).

ONLY completely removing any traces of Lyx and reinstalling Lyx 2.2.4 solved
the problem - its running fine.

Accd to the Lyx web site, the latest release of Lyx (2.3.3) should be running
fine on my system - so what is the issue???

Any hints/help available??
Hi Matthias,

as others said already - it should work.

What can be done to diagnose the problem? I would need to know what the LyX
configure run did.

There is a folder in your user directory named ~/Library/Application
Support/LyX-2.3. This is the location to look for the file configure.log.
Please send it to the users list or in a private mail to me.
I could be wrong, of course, but it smells like a permissions problem.
We've seen this kind of thing in other cases, where configure.py can't
write to the relevant folder. If not, the log may not exist.

Riki

If that's the case, running the configuration script in a shell / terminal / whatever the Apple term is should indicate as much.

Paul