On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 8:04 AM <list_em...@icloud.com> wrote:

> I have a manuscript which I plan to submit for publication. In its current
> form, it is in a format different from what the journal expects and as such
> must be converted to the format (IEEE) expected by the journal. (I normally
> do this  by copy-pasting large sections of text.)

I have done that, too, as it's pretty sketchy to try to copy/paste the
whole document (now I don't remember why, anymore; perhaps LyX would crash
on my Windows?).

> If the manuscript is rejected by the journal then I will have to either
> revert to the original format or convert to a third format for another
> journal.

I think I understand in theory what you want to do, but wonder if it's
useful or makes sense in practice. Every time I had a paper rejected from a
journal, there were changes to be made for good reasons. That is, I never
resubmitted the original manuscript to another venu without taking at least
some of the feedback into consideration.

I have a version control problem across formats if I make further edits to
> any version in any format. Besides tediously manually editing all versions,
> making the same changes, is there any way to keep a master document and
> spawn one or more alternately-formatted versions with the same content,
> thus saving the headache of manually editing each version?

Child documents? See https://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/Multidoc#input-include - I've
used this to reuse stand-alone problem statements inside exam documents
(that latter of which have formatting requirements), but I never tried it
in the context of an IEEE publication. I think it's going to depend on the
formatting.

The last three journal/conference papers I worked on were done in LaTeX
because not enough of my co-authors appreciate LyX. I'm still keeping LyX
for my course notes (like a book), where I'm the sole author.