On 2019-10-30 16:08 +0100, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:

> Am 30.10.19 um 13:35 schrieb Baris Erkus:
> >On 28-Oct-19 10:30 AM, Wolfgang Engelmann wrote:
> >>Does John's advice to use identical versions of LyX mean to use 2.3.3
> >>(which I use) also under Windows? I did not find this version for MikTeX.
> >>

> >This question is not clear. MikTeX and LyX are two seperate packages.
> >The latest version of LyX is compatible with the latest version of
> >MikTeX as I have tried it just yesterday on a fresh PC.
> >
> >If you are asking if two LyX versions should be same or not, I think, if
> >you are using versions of 2.3.x, it should not be a problem, as I have
> >tried this with some of my students and we did not have an issue.
> Good.
> >
> >In my opinion, even if one of the LyX has version of LyX 2.2.x, and the
> >other is 2.3.x, it should not be a problem as long as both LyX programs
> >are setup and running properly. However, there maybe certain features in
> >versions 2.3.x that may not be available in 2.2.x, which may create some
> >warnings when opening in v 2.2.x. Maybe you should ask this as a
> >separate question to the list, if you are using an older version o LyX.
> >
> Thanks, Baris
> --

My experience is only that there is a format version number for LyX at the head
of each lyx file. If those are not the same, then whichever is the older LyX
will refuse to handle the newer format.

Meanwhile, the newer LyX will upgrade an older file to the new format.

Of course this is correct behaviour, I merely have to ensure that I have the
same version in both places. Yes, I agree, it does not have to be the same
beyond the minor version, i.e. at present any 2.3.x.

Best regards
John