>>Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 11:32:04 -0400
>>From: Matej Cepl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: LyX users discussion list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Subject: Re: Introduction in User Guide
>>
>>On Thu, May 03, 2001 at 04:39:15PM +0200, Jean-Pierre.Chretien wrote:
>>>
>>> A really big problem with a conventional word processor
>>> is that when you are facing the screen
>>> with the window open, you are unable to know if it is a complete
>>> WYSIWYG sculpture of the document or if the author has made en extensive use
>>> of styles, symbolic references, etc.
>>> And if you don't know, a conversion program will hardly know either...
>>> Just have a look at HTML export and, worse, at HTML import (where there
>>> *should* be some style formatting).
>>
>>That's true of course, but it hardly interests user when writing his
>>first LyX document (maybe, it would, but you have to tell him the thing
>>about the conversion).

I suppose that he may be interested in html conversion and mostly
in Word conversion, and the solutions should be pointed out
in the Intro.

>>> The point with LaTeX/LyX is that somebody somewhere should hack the styles
>>> for you, so you just have to know about your own scientific, juridic
>>> or any kind of significant stuff and don't mind other guys business:
>>> these other guys perform in fact a typographic job, and their life is
simpler
>>> through the automation of the tedious part thanks to
>>> Donald E. Knuth and all people who made easy access to it.
>>
>>Of course, I use LyX for all my writing, so I know why I do so :-), but
>>isn't this slightly too much black magic for introduction?
>>
>>Matej

I agree I am a bit beyond the initial steps, but I remember the reading
the introduction of the LaTeX Book as a discovery of a *new* world
(I started with MacWrite, but had made steps in the right direction
with nroff I must say). This intro gets a bit in details AFAIR.

Ok for not getting in details about document compilation, but what about
a strong incentive not to get bored by style hacking and accepting things
as they are for a start ? Frankly I have been using LaTeX for a long time
and I really made small investments in style writing (for example I never
investigated the @ stuff:-)