On Thu, 14 Oct 2021, Paul A. Rubin wrote:

OK, after fixing the paragraph setting for the Van Doornik reference, I
got the MWE to compile by doing the following: in Document > Settings... >
Language > Encoding, I switched from Language default to "Other" and
selected "Unicode (utf8)".

Paul,

I wonder how that encoding was changed. The LyX document I last worked on
has the Language default selected; the Other shows a grey-out Unicode
(utf8).

So, the MWE displays the bibliography but the main document still does not
after changing the Language to Unicode (utf8).

I suspect there are some characters in the .bib file that are UTF-8 (which
is my default locale setting) but not "latin9".

$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

There's no latin9 here, either.

So the log file contained some nonspecific bitching and moaning about
latin9, which led me to discover that the default encoding (at least on my
system) was latin9, and that wasn't cutting it.

Here, the JabRef settings also specify UTF8 (see attached) so I've no idea
where LyX is seeing latin9.

Thanks,

Rich