I am just wondering how lyx knows how to display the numbering of floats when
the document class is book and according to what rule to change the numbering
when the document class is changed to article, for example.

Yes yes, LyX "doesn't know anything about latex", and it is actually latex that
takes care of the numbering, but only in the output (pdf or dvi). My question
is about the numbering inside​ the editor.