Thanks for the instructions. I ran lyx2lyx from the command line, and it
successfully converted the old file, and Lyx can open the converted file. But
if I try to open the old file from inside LyX I still get: “...is from an older
version of LyX and the lyx2lyx script failed to convert it.” So, lyx2lyx works,
but LyX cannot run it. And still, instant preview does not work, although
typesetting a document does.

I have been using lyx for many years now (which is why I have old formats). I
have no problems compiling lyx documents, and otherwise use LaTeX directly, so
I don’t think it’s a LaTeX issue.