On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 2:10 AM Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> wrote:

> Dr Paul Verschueren said on Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:12:10 +0000
>
> >Dear all -
> >I just had to change the AMS document type for a long paper.
>
> Does long paper really require a change of doctype? I think you can do
> what you need by putting the following two lines in your
> Docuument=>settings=>Latex_preamble:

> \pageheight=14in %Paper height
> \pagewidth=8.5in  %Paper width
>
> The preceding works as long as you compile with luatex, which is the
> best way to compile anyway. I don't know about the AMS document type,
> but my best guess would be it would accommodate the preceding.
> Naturally you'd need to change all the margins in LyX, but that's easy.
>
> >I have made heavy use of the paragraph/subparagraph environments, but
> >these do not exist(!) in the new doctype. Is there any way of doing a
> >find/replace via Lyx? If not, is there any alternative to hacking the
>>Lyx source, and does anyone foresee any gotchas with this approach?
> >(I'll obviously take a backup first). Many thanks
>
> If worst comes to worst, you could create a new document type, based on
> whatever new document type you are moving to, in a layout file, and just
> create new paragraph/subparagraphs environments.

My apologies - by "a long paper" I meant an academic paper which is long (ie
many pages).
For publication in an academic journal, one needs to submit a Latex document
using the journal's own document type, and the environments supported by that
document type.
Many mathematicians write directly in Latex, but I much prefer to write in Lyx
and export to Latex for submission.

It is very common for a paper to be redirected from one journal to another, and
the submission document then needs to be changed to work with the new journal's
document type.
In this use case, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes' solution (below) is very elegant and in
fact shows another benefit of Lyx over raw Latex:

You could try, in Document Settings>Local Layout, something like

Style Paragraph
   ObsoletedBy SubsubSection
End

Style SubParagraph