Udicoudco said on Thu, 20 Apr 2023 03:24:09 +0300

>On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 2:10 AM Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> Dr Paul Verschueren said on Tue, 18 Apr 2023 15:12:10 +0000
>>
>> >Dear all -
>> >I just had to change the AMS document type for a long paper.
>>
>> Does long paper really require a change of doctype? I think you can
>> do what you need by putting the following two lines in your
>> Docuument=>settings=>Latex_preamble:

>> \pageheight=14in %Paper height
>> \pagewidth=8.5in  %Paper width
>>
>> The preceding works as long as you compile with luatex, which is the
>> best way to compile anyway. I don't know about the AMS document type,
>> but my best guess would be it would accommodate the preceding.
>> Naturally you'd need to change all the margins in LyX, but that's
>> easy.
>>

>The primitives macros called \pageheight and \pagewidth are not
>responsible for the size of the text block, they are only changing
>the size of the media box that the pdf reader displays.

Exactly! You change the margins, and therefore the size of the text
block, in LyX itself.

>They were first introduced in pdftex
>(where they are called \pdfpageheight
>and \pdfpagewidth, and in xetex as well)
>since the pdf format is not meant to be used
>just for printing.
>
>On the other hand, LaTeX is using
>two macros called \paperheight and \paperwidth
>to control the text block (they are basically \textwidth and
>\textheight plus some extra space for the margins).

This is true. I've used \paperheight and \paperwidth in some of my LyX
authored books meant to be read on a small device, so these are
probably a better way to go.

SteveT

Steve Litt