Peter said on Tue, 31 Oct 2023 09:31:13 +0000

>Hi, I have just upgraded to Debian 12 and find Lyx will not load.  In
>addition, trying to load it seems to crash xorg, so the only way out
>is to reboot.

Is your video card an nVidea? In the Linux world, friends don't let
friends use nVidea. Because of their ultra-paranoid secrecy on their
interfaces, the Free Software world has a very hard time making drivers
for their cards, and my experience is that their proprietary drivers are
intermittent and defective also. If you don't believe me, search the
web. If you have an nVidea graphics card, a simple change to Debian's
nVidea graphics drivers could be causing this, and good luck finding
the magic sauce to fix this intermittent.

If this is a laptop, you can't replace the video card, so your best bet
is to join MANY Linux User Group (LUG) mailing lists, and see if people
can help you find this year's secret sauce configuration for your
particular nVidea video interface.

If it's a desktop, I recommend buying yourself a nice Radeon or Intel
video card to replace your nVidea card or supplant your Mobo hosted
nVidea graphic interface, and then use the bios to turn off the
built-in. Either way, once you've gotten rid of your nVidea graphic
hardware, uninstall all the nVidea graphic software and drivers.

If switching out of nVidea doesn't fix the problem, that's fine, you've
improved your computer anyway, and you'll have ruled out a huge chunk
or X crash causes. I know this will be responded to by tens of people
saying their nVidea video interfaces work just fine. This is true, but
when nVidea graphic interfaces cause problems, they take days to
troubleshoot.

If you don't currently have an nVidea graphic interface, please
disregard this post.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21