On Tue, 2 Jan 2024, Paul Rubin wrote:

Neither displays correctly for me. The issue is that you are inserting the
arrow as LaTeX without invoking math mode (at least in mwe2; in mwe it's
not even LaTeX). So the compiler guesses where to begin and end math mode,
and it does not guess correctly. (Quoth the LaTeX log: "I've inserted a
begin-math/end-math symbol since I think

you left one out. Proceed, with fingers crossed.")

The simple fix is to insert the arrows using math model (ctrl-M), as in the attached version of your second example.

Paul,

I saw that but missed the point that I needed to use math mode rather than
plain LaTeX/ERT.

Thanks,

Rich