Okay, I sat back for a bit on this.  I didn't want to flood you while you
were studying Baruch...

On Sunday 27 May 2001 01:21, Baruch Even wrote:
> I understand what you say, but you need to understand the side of the
> developers too.

Baruch, I assure you, I understand the developer's side better than you might
know: I have been there.

> If we do not decide that a single language is the
> official language than any feature that is moved to the scripting
> languages needs to be maintained in several languages, that's too much
> work for us to do.

This is precisely where your logic fails, Baruch.  You are assuming limited
resources of the team.  Why not require someone to specifically maintain each
language supported by LyX?  Make it a pre-requisite for including a language
in LyX's scripting support.  That way, the team isn't burdened with
supporting each of the scripting languages.

> Obviously, it is possible that some X language hacker will step up and
> maintain a second language. We have that with GUII, but we still have
> the XForms GUI as the officially sanctioned GUI. And maintaining several

I think the GUI and the scripting languages are _very_ different situations
from what I understand of things.  LyX was very much written around it's GUI
initially, which has made it extremely difficult for implementing different
GUI interfaces.  Enough so that there was some talk that LyX was going to be
restructured to be GUI independent...  A project that seems to have been
stalled.  And, it is *highly* desirable.  Just watch the KLyX mailing list...
 While not a high volume, it still is getting regular posts.  This indicates
that there is still interest in have GUI's for each environment.  I think
this interest could easily be turned to support.

I believe this also holds true of scripting language support.

> This message gets too long and I have a Real Analysis test to learn for.

I held off on responding to this for a while...  But, I hope with your
studies completed (at least temporarily) that you had the time to re-read
that message.  If you haven't I would ask you to (assuming that your studies
are done for a time), the points and problems I point out there are extremely
significant in this situation.

--
George J. De Bruin
Check Out 0l0rin's New Age compositions at http://mp3.com/0l0rin