On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 02:34:20PM -0700, James Frye wrote:
> On Mon, 26 May 2003, Andre Poenitz wrote:
>
> > Same here. The default spacing follow good type setting style. Exposing
> > them to the casual user is likely to produce bad typesetting, so at least
> > my interest in making that accessible is limited.
>
> I'd say instead that the default spacing &c follows rules laid down by
> certain academic journals and suchlike.  That does not necessarily equate
> to "good".  Just for instance, the default "new paragraph" action is,
> IIRC, to indent but not to add space.  Now if your journal wants that,
> fine, but for my own use I want no indent and a blank line between
> paragraphs.

So do I, probably because it's not too uncommon in German typesetting.
For such things there are standard solutions and som of them are even
supported by LyX, in this case Layout->Document->Skip.

> Likewise I don't want a default 10 point typeface with 1.5
> inch margins on each side, I want a title that's left-justified rather
> than centered, and so on through many choices.

The point is: You can do that, but it hurts a bit. So if you really want it
and know what you do you can do it. But you don't do it accidentally.

> Of course there are some things that are indeed bad typesetting, I would
> defy anyone to give a logical reason why any of the options I'd like to
> set are bad in any objective sense, rather than just a matter of personal
> preference.

Proof by Authority ;-)

> What I would like is some sort of style editor that would let me easily
> change such things.

A style editor for logical markup would be nice indeed....

In fact, I think you guys have a valid point. And if I am taking a somewhat
stonger stance than absolutely needed this is because I don't like the
reasoning 'You have to make such and such easy because it is easy in
Word'. It does not necessarily mean, that 'such' must not be easy....

Andre'

--
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have,
nor do they deserve, either one.     (T. Jefferson or B. Franklin or both...)