> We could also take this into account when writing out the latex
> document: never output an unreverenced label, or an reference that point
> to nowhere...(the second is more questionable)

I find both questionable. Suppose you want to cooperated with people that
use plain LaTeX that insert their labels for later use, or suppose your
LaTeX export will be part of something bigger that needs to reference it.

"Clever" things tend to be stupid things in some cases and the last thing I
want to see in LyX are MS Word like features like "automatic correction of
ill-behaving users"... If someone put in some label, he likely had a
reason to do so. There is not point to "correct" this -- unless explicitly
asked for, of course.

Andre'

--