>>Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 19:04:56 +1000
>>From: Kathryn Andersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>To: "Bryan J. Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>Subject: Re: tex2pdf 2.1 released -- appologies for my ignorance

>>> I just need "hyperref," right?  What is the easiest way to install
>>> it in a near-stock RedHat 7.1 full install (just added LyX,
>>> TeTeX-LyX and XForms)?
>>
>>I'm using RedHat 7.1 -- hyperref is already there, if you have the teTeX
>>stuff installed, which I expect you do.

>>> The problem with "ps2pdf" is that it seems to not "preserve" the
>>> orientation of my paper.  E.g., if I use FoilTeX and landscape for
>>> slides, the PDF will have the paper "portrait" with the output
>>> "sideways."  It's fine for printing, but not for presentations.
>>>
>>> So I previously used "pdftex" but it didn't convert the EPS graphics
>>> before output (and lost them in the end result).  Hence why the
>>> "tex2pdf" script was exactly what I needed -- and gives me both
>>> thumbnails and hyperlinks in the PDF.  I get everything but the PDF
>>> bookmarks.
>>
>>You *can* use pdftex if you do the conversion of the EPS graphics
>>yourself; the actual tex2pdf script uses "epstopdf" to do the
>>conversion.  That way, you have two versions of the image file, the EPS
>>version and the PDF version.  Then, when you include the image file in
>>your LyX document, just give it the name without the extension, and it
>>will pick the correct version of the file depending on what it's doing.
>>Version 1.1.6fix2 of LyX has fixed a bug with this, so that the image
>>displays correctly when you leave out the extension.
>>
>>I did it this way myself, because the generated PDF file, if it was a
>>greyscale image, looked like a dog's breakfast if I used tex2pdf.  But,
>>what they didn't tell one, is that you can use jpg and png files as
>>well... and since my greyscale images were originally jpg files in the
>>first place, I just used them.  So I have the JPG file and the EPS file.

I suggested to the tex2pdf auhors three improvements:
 - allow includegraphics command to span several lines (easy with perl
 instead of sed);
 - put a time stamp to prevent conversion to pdf if the eps is older
 (useful for repetitive conversions);
 - put a check on availability of jpg or png images to prevent conversion

May be due to the age of my teTeX install, but eps2pdf after convert
from jpg/png to eps may give bad results, it seems better to use
the original graphic when available.

tex2pdf does a great job to get bookmarks, thumbnails and hyperrefs
in a snap of a finger and these small improvments would make use
of graphics in their original version easier.

Sorry I couln'd give a hand to it...

BTW, didn't check, there improvements might have been made in
the last release.

--
Jean-Pierre