On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 03:51:43PM -0400, Matej Cepl wrote:
> However, when working on my assignements, I usually had in other
> gnome-terminal window started octave for calculating determinants etc.
> While working on these assignements, I begun to dream about an
> improvement of LyX which would allow me to work with Octave exactly in
> LyX (something what could be done with much more primitive GNU Calc in
> Emacs). For example, let's have following in MathEd:
>
>             [ 1  2  3 ]
>       A   = | 2  3  1 |
>             [ 3  1  2 ]
>       |A| =
>
> Now when pressing some hotkey, I would love that LyX would insert -18
> (determinant of the matrix A). I believe that such functionality would
> be something further moving LyX from "just better editor" to real
> killer-application.

Would it? Well... I suppose so ;-}

That's what the 'math-extern' LyXfunc is supposed to support:

Mathed can write (some of its) math in some special "normal" format which
is easy to parse (the actual parsing is a one-liner in Tcl...). You need
to provide a 'lyx2octave' external program which translates this format
into octave syntax and calls octave. The result has to be math in LaTeX
format which is read back by lyx.

There is a 'lyx2maple' script in src/mathed which s

There are, of course, massive problem with translating LyX/LaTeX's layout
oriented representation of formulae into something that makes sense "math
wise". And, due to the feature freeze, development in this area is
currently completely stalled.

> OK, I am sure, that it is so complicated, that a huge rewrite of Mathed
> would be required.

This deed is done...

> Therefore, let's keep it as a dream for some future
> situation, when LyX will be so polished, that no programmer would
> anything to do :-). And of course, that I see some pitfalls (I do not
> want octave being started just for a name of variable being inserted --
> e.g., when just inline equation - Ctrl-M - is edited).

No... as you mentioned. You will have to press some hotkey...

> However, I would have some much less complicated proposal. Would it be
> possible to persuade Mathed, that it would insert in Clipboard (Ctrl-C)
> matrix, equation, formula, etc. so that it may be easily inserted into
> octave? I mean, that for above shown matrix, a content of clipboard
> (when whole first line is selected) would be a=[1,2,3;2,3,1;3,1,2]?

I won't put any Maple/Octave/whatever specific code into mathed. You'l get
the "normal" format and have to provide the converter yourself..

Andre'

--