On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 12:04:47PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> but the main problem AFAIK is that LaTeX (and thus LyX)
> does not have enough structure for some things. For example, if you
> write
>   x = ab
> macsima/octave/maple will have to guess that there is an implied *
> between a and b. Similarly for
>   x = \int_0^1 f(x)dx

This is indeed the hard problem. The conversion scripts per se could be
lengthy, but they are certainly trivial.

I basically see a clean and a hackish solution:

The hackish solution would try to guess where to put the '*' and what
constitutes an integral etc. This will probably most of the times but
fail in the more convoluted cases. Another advantage: All "historic math"
will be usable.

The clean solution is to provide real math insets or predefined macros for
every supported non-trivial construct. So one basically has to use a
'invisible multiplication' or an 'int macro' instead of the separate
\int, _0^1, f, (, ... items.

Andre'

--