On Monday 17 December 2001 18.23, Dekel Tsur wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 09:54:22AM +0100, Helgi Örn wrote:
> > Hello all!
> >
> > For a while I've been trying to figure out how to format the chapter
> > titles the way I want them in a book am writing, but I can't get it right
> > at all. I have taken a look at
> > <http://www.lyx.org/help/layouts/chapter.php> several times and it
> > doesn't help me at all *use the koma class* f.ex. doesn't tell me
> > anything.  *With the option nochapterprefix in layout->document->extra
> > option* isn't of help either since there isn't any *options* in
> > layout->document->extra (1.1.6fix3)!
> >
> > What I want is only the chapter number (without a leading *chapter*), I
> > want it to be centered vertically and I don't want the next chapter to
> > start on a new page. Is this possible to do?
>
> Using the _standard_ book class, add the following lines to the preamble:
>
> \AtBeginDocument{\renewcommand{\chaptername}{}}
> \usepackage[center]{titlesec}
> \renewcommand\chapter{%
>   \global\@topnum\z@
>   \@afterindentfalse
>   \secdef\@chapter\@schapter}
Thank's for the advice!
OK, great, I've at least come closer but it's not looking good. I use
standard book class, one side, A4. There are two horrible failures in the dvi
output:

1) There is a double page numbering on each page, upper left and upper right
corner. On the left side it's in italic!
How can I turn off one of these (the left one)?

2) After the chapter input I have to put in a space (Ctrl + Space) to keep it
there, otherwise it vanishes, in the dvi output this makes a 12 line space
after each chapter input. But the space between the end of the chapter and
the next chapter number is almost 2 lines.
How can I decrease this enormous space after the chapter number?

Cheers,
Helgi Örn

--
Idaho state law makes it illegal for a man to give his sweetheart a box
of candy weighing less than fifty pounds.