On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 03:59:22PM +1030, Simon G Hill wrote:
> Have you done the following.....
> placed the files in a place where they can be found?
> ie
> usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/
> Run texhash from the command line?
> Reconfigured LyX?
> Restarted LyX?

Sorry to have been too terse in my original note.
By "[reconfigure, etc...]" I meant the process of doing
Options->Reconfigure then exiting LyX and restarting it.
The docs are quite clear about that process.

When I ran lyx -dbg 2, the reconfigure produced these lines:
  checking LaTeX configuration... auto
  +Inspecting your LaTeX configuration.
  +checking for LaTeX version... 1998/12/01
  +checking for default encoding (this may take a long time)
  +  checking for ec fonts... yes
  +  checking for ec support in LaTeX format... yes
  +checking for document class myclass [report, myclass.sty]... no

So it clearly was not finding "myclass" but just as clearly it
knew that it should be looking for it.

I was trying to take the smallest first step at customization,
creating a new "document class" derived from an existing one.
It turns out I took a bigger step than I realized---I was in
effect trying to introduce a new .sty, thinking I could
simply work with a .layout.

When I change the declaration line in myclass.layout to:

    \DeclareLaTeXClass[report]{myclass}

I see "myclass" in the list of document classes in the
Layout->Document popup.

Now I can proceed, with all the great examples on the web page
and elsewhere.  I hope this bit of info helps some other clown
who may be taking first steps at customization.

Jim