On Sat, Feb 09, 2002, Nirmal Govind wrote:

> I setup Windows XP on my computer (clean install) and so had to setup Lyx
> again. However, when I try starting the Cygwin setup program from the
> LyxInstall directory, it goes till the root directory (C:/cygwin) question
> and then the local package directory (C:/LyxInstall) and then crashes and
> get a Microsoft error message which looks as follows:
>
> AppName: setup.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: msvcrt.dll
> ModVer: 7.0.2600.0 Offset: 00034157

The problem seems to be that the format of "setup.ini" has changed since
the LyX-specific one was created.  You need to edit this file (in your
LyxInstall directory), adding two lines at the top:

setup-timestamp: 1013197208
setup-version: 2.125.2.10

(I copied the above from the setup.ini file from the standard cygwin
install directory...I don't think the timestamp matters.)  The latest
setup.exe file from cygwin gives the error you see if these initial lines
are not present.

It's too bad the changes in setup are not backwards compatible to earlier
setup.ini files.  [You could report this to the cygwin list, but be prepared
for a nasty-ish reply if you don't include a patch for the setup program
at the same time.]

...hope this helps...it worked for me anyway....dac