On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 02:00:45PM -0500, Nirmal Govind wrote:
> While still on the subject of fonts and typesetting, I have
> a slightly different question - I'm having trouble while
> printing my documents which are typeset in the default CMR
> fonts.. the normal text appears a bit light in the output on
> paper... I tried changing font sizes etc. but it still doesn't
> help.. any idea why this might be so? I thought it might be my
> printer (it's a Samsung ML-1210 Laser printer) but it prints
> other documents just fine (like say from MS Word.. I know some
> of you may object to my using this as a benchmark but...)..

I am not sure what is exactly your problem, but the fact is that
Computer Modern has much lighter apperance than most common
Times. Moreover, it is nice only when used with high-DPI printing
(600 dpi and more) otherwise its thin vertical lines are too
light. I am not saying that it is problem of Computer Modern (the
font was originally -- in 1977! -- designed for offset
typesetters with dpi 1200 and more), but it is certainly worthy
of consideration. However, when thinking about using some other
fonts, there are some caveats: most of all, there are no quality
free mathematical fonts which are nicely complementing to Times.
Therefore, when you are using a lot of mathematics, I still use
Computer Modern (and I have access to 1200 dpi laser printer in
the school), but I like more and more using free Lido font, which
is enhanced free for non-commercial use version of Times (see
http://www.cstug.cz/stormtype/slido.html).

        Happy TeXing!

                Matej Cepl

--
Matej Cepl, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Microwave oven?  Whaddya mean, it's a microwave oven?  I've been
watching Channel 4 on the thing for two weeks.